How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I live in Australia, and I engaged a solo motor mechanic, working

This answer was rated:

I live in Australia, and I engaged a solo motor mechanic, working from his home,
to rebuild a car engine for me, purchased from another person in the UK. He is a recognised specialist with this type of engine. All the work is 99% complete, and all his invoices have been paid in full by direct funds transfer. The problem is that ever since a message of Xmas Greeting on 24th December, the mechanic refuses to answer any form of request for releasing the property back to me. I also purchased a second engine that is unrestored, and this is in the possession of the mechanic. The total value of the two engines is about AUD$70,000.00. I have send numerous polite and respectful requests by email, text messages, voice massages, and registered post, but with no reply. Another mechanic who owns the local car service centre, and who was involved in some of the work on the first engine, has approached my mechanic and his reason for not contacting me has been that he is "snowed under with other work." During the previous 15 months that I had been dealing with the mechanic, I found him to be peasant and reasonable enough, although inflexible about detailed changes requested by myself. After 3 months now, I need to seek a remedy.

Thank you for contacting

It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about Australia where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest.

You may want to consider posting your question on the US version of our site,, where your question would be made available to a wider range of professionals. You may be able to get an answer faster on the US version of JustAnswer.

You will need to place a new deposit on the US site. You can get a refund of your deposit on the UK site by using this link:

Please let me know if you need further assistance,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. The mechanic I engaged and the engines are in the UK, and payments have been made to the mechanics UK bank account. I therefore believe that the problem would need to be resolved under UK Law.


OK; I will try this in UK law for you and will transfer the question now.

Please do not reply further as this sends the question back to me and you may experience further delay.

Thank you for your patience,

I am an English Solicitor and have just seen your query.

If the mechanic has been paid off, he has no reason to retain custody of your engine and he should release it to you without any further delay.

I would suggest that you contact the local trading standards officers as a visit from them motivate your mechanic to release the engine, otherwise you may arrange for someone to visit the mechanic to collect your engine and call the police if the mechanic refuses to release it.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you