How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi. a21 year old young man stole my daughters car. he has not

This answer was rated:

Hi. a21 year old young man stole my daughters car. he has not got a licence he damaged
several other vehicles and wrote my daughters car because he was found and arrested.and charged all the the other victims can claim off my ins. which i took out for my daughter. the claims assessor told me it would have been better for me if the culprit was not found, because the vehicle was stolen i cant claim for any excsess i have paid i will loose all my years of no claims bonus. also by the time i have paid the full 12 months ins
prem etc. we will probably get next to nothing for her car.the police said he will probably only get a few hours community service. could i take out a civil action against him or would that also cost me to much.
mike sheehan

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What loss have you suffered please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the car is a right off dont know yet how many other claims for the damage he caused to other cars just yet as it only happened last sunday and police are still investigating


Yes, there is nothing whatsoever to stop you suing the culprit personally for whatever this cost you including the damage to the car, loss of no claim bonus, excess, and car hire although if he has no assets, even if you win in court you may not actually get anything at all.

I do not agree with how the insurance companies handle these matters because you should not be penalised over something that is not your fault.

Therefore it is worth referring the matter as a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman if the insurer insists that because it was your car that caused the damage, your car insurance should pay up.

Here is the link to the Financial Ombudsman Service

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks jo as i thought there is more support for the criminal than the victim

in this country. i will definately follow up about the insurance company to the ombudsnman. thank you for your help and response to my problem


No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you