How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We are owed money by a company in a complex contract agreement

This answer was rated:

We are owed money by a company in a complex contract agreement by which we are sub-contractors (not part of the main contract for a job which we fulfilled but others in the contract didn't). They have offered us 20% of our outcosts (12% of our original fee). If we refuse to accept this offer can they withdraw it if it goes further ie we issue legal proceedings agianst them or do they have to honour it?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Yes an offer can be withdrawn at any time.
Alex Watts : They can offer a lower amount and say it is full and final settlement, but can withdraw it at any time.
Alex Watts : That is unless they say it is an unconditional offer, which I doubt.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Do we have a right to ask to see any documentation they have from the main contractor, ie how much they have been offered or would we have to pursue them legally to obtain this information?

Alex Watts : Well if it goes to court they have to disclose all documents that assist their case and those that undermine it. So yes you may well do.
Alex Watts : You could ask for the documents as pre action disclosure.
Alex Watts : Does this help?

Thank you that is very helpful

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you