How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Any possibilty of a legal marriage contract between a British

This answer was rated:

Any possibilty of a legal marriage contract between a British citizen and a Mexican citizen *without intention of either partner residing i,n or visiting the other partner's country ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
where will they actually get married?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am widowed and far too elderly tocontemplate further travel, Having traveled about a quarter million miles prior to retirement. !

Of my own volition, being of sound mind (Ihope !) I have been supporting a Mexican lady who suffers from chronic illness (lupus)- and her 2 children. She is unmarried; and I''d like to give her the opportunity of having a legal marriage under the circumstances outlined, with a view to possibly leaving my property to her in a (changed) will in due course. I am under no coercion whatsoever. This would add to my satisfaction in knowing,as a widower with no dependents, that I shall have done everything possible, unconditionally, to help this lady and her dependent ( 2) children. I would expect no more than an 'in principle' response. Our relationship - always online - has been mutually very beneficial.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What I had specifically in mind was the issue of a valid Mexican Civil marriage certificate to the lady referred to and an equally valid Civil Marriage Certificate arranged for me in the U.K.via my Solicitor who is my Executor..N.B. No travel nor stay in respective countries contemplated !

Why can you not simply leave your property to her without a marriage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Because she is such an admirable person that I want her to have an official document valid in her country...A combination of age and ill-health prevents any circumvention of the law as I perceive it: and however silly it might appear to others, I would regard it as a kind of gift and a recognition of her fine qualities as a mother raising two children alone despite her health problems - or, to put it plainly, we love each other, and not in any superficial way !


Thank you,Ms Clare !

What you are asking about is what is known as a "proxy marriage" which is only available in a limited number of countries and in limited circumstances
Mexico is one of the countries that does allow for proxy marriage - although whether it is allowed for their own citizens is a different matter and one which only your friend can answer
It would not be recognised as a marriage here in the UK so you would need to make the position clear in your Will
I hope that this is of assistance
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you