How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have recieved a simple caution from police for theft from

This answer was rated:

I have recieved a simple caution from police for theft from a vunerable adult for 600 pound , I told them I didn't no the amount and it could be less or more and I didn't deny taking any money just did not no proper amount , , I went in on my own and was scared , they ask me about some reciepts and other amounting to a extra 418 pound .. I said I never took money from his wallet and never touched his reciepts .. Now I'm scared they meant something else and they will come after me for the 418 pound .. I'm paying back the 600 and would just rather pay the 400 as well if it turns out the total amount was me .. What can I do ? It's making me so Ill can't stop crying

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.
How can I help you with this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took the simple caution from the police who question me and I am paying 600 back to the person but I don't no how much I really should pay back ? They said something about reciepts and I thought he said cheques totalling 418 pound .. I said I hadn't touch reciepts or cheques only money ,, but I am scared that they will find anymore I owe if I do ? That they will
then take me to court .. I kept telling them I didn't no how much I had took ! Should I just moved on or should I go back to the police and ask them just to put the 418 pound on my charge so I can move on and not worry ??? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't no what to do .. Need to move on desperately and it's making me so I'll thanks
Have they already formally cautioned you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes and give me a simple caution thanks

So, the allegation is that you stole £600 and you think you stole £1000?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure of amount ???
Was this just a one off theft or were there several different instances?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was from July 2013 to jan 2014 .. So a number of thefts over that period of time . Thanks they suspended me from work on the 12 of feb 2014 and brought me in for interview 15 th of March 2014 when they had got evidence from work thanks

But do they know about thefts covering all of that period?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes they showed me evidence .. But then asked if I new about some reciepts and money taken from his wallet ! I have never took money from his actual purse / wallet and never touched any reciepts !! But still worried the amount I took was more than 600 what they had proof for .. Thanks sorry to be a pain thanks
Thank you.

It is possible that they could return to this matter if they find evidence of other thefts. It depends what they find. If they just find that the amounts are wrong then the offences will have been resolved by means of caution and so there will be no other action that can be taken. If they find actual evidence of other offences that are not included within the caution then they could revive those.

It's quite unlikely that they will find any evidence at all of other offences. If he is vulnerable and you were given a caution then that would tend to suggest that he was not a solid and credible witness that they could put before the courts as otherwise you would have been charged.

I do understand that from an emotional point of view you want to get this matter wrapped up forever but from a risk management point of view it is much safer to do nothing. The onus is upon the Crown to prove what they allege and successful criminal defence work is not achieved by walking into the front office of the police station with your hands in the air.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi just one last question if they do find anything could they take me court ? I kept saying I did not no amount I had took and wanted to pay back it all ., I've just paid the first 200 off the 600 I owe .. Could they add it on to first caution if they do ? Thanks
No but its not that simple.

They cannot vary the value amount if you have received a caution.

What they could do is bring fresh offences if they were not included in the caution but thats very unlikely as their evidence probably will not cover it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if they had the evidence there that I had took more , they would of charged me with it ? Can they give you a second caution if not or would it be court ? I'm such a worrier sorry ! Thanks
I think the fact that they offered a caution at all tends to suggest that their evidence was weak. If this is a theft from a vulnerable adult in breach of trust then it should have been court and no caution.

Its very unlikely that any more evidence will come to light now.