How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a landlady. My lodger used to be my partner about 11 years

Customer Question

I am a landlady. My lodger used to be my partner about 11 years ago. moved out for a while then moved back as a lodger. He has constantly harrassed me for money. I have tried to stop it, but his harrassement always causes me to pay him. He owes me thousands, but I cannot put up with the arguments any longer. I want him to move out as quickly as possible if not sooner. How can I do it? I am desperate now. Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 4 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi - thanks for your question. My name is Tony, I can answer this for you.

tdlawyer :

What form does the harassment take - arguments only?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
If he is a lodger then all you need to do is give him Reasonable Notice to leave
You should give him at LEAST twenty eight days written notice - and keep a copy for yourself.
At the end of that time when he is out arrange for the locks to be changed, pack up his belongings and call the police f he attempts to re-enter the property
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Clare, thanks for responding. I contacted the CAB as well and they have said that it isn;t strictly necessary to give 28 days notice as he is and 'excluded occupier'. My problem is he will be sweet and helpful in the next 28 days and make it so very hard for me to put someone I have known for 13 years out onto the street. He is 50 and can;t hold a job down, drinks and gambles. I am due to retire in the next couple of years andI don't want this millstone around my neck. He apologised for the first time because I think he knows how serious I am. It is also possible he might try to get money from my father, who has dementia. Is there a way I can ensure he doesn;t go round there once I have evicted him? Thanks Jeannie

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
You are safer giving the written notice - otherwise there is a risk that your lodger can use the previous relationship between you to obtain an order allowing him to remain there for some weeks whilst he seeks rehousing
Giving notice avoids this risk
With regard to your father I assume that there is someone who has been appointed to deal with his financial matters and you should ensure that that person has restricted any possible access to his funds
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further assistance