How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

11 years ago my sisters asked me to sign some forms relating

This answer was rated:

11 years ago my sisters asked me to sign some forms relating to some land we owned ,i have since found out i was signing over my share of some of the land the three of us owned.when i recently confronted them i was told "you should of read what you were signing".is there anything i can do legally to reclaim my share of the land back.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is there a reason you did not read what you were asked to sign please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when asked ,my sister implied it was just a form that was to do with my late fathers estate,not signing land over .and being my sister i trusted her.


If you can prove that there was an element of fraud here, this is a matter for the police. However after 11 years, don't expect the police to be particularly interested I'm afraid unless, of course, it is a sexual offence with no prospect of a successful conviction and then they will prosecute anything and then wonder why the conviction rate is low!

If however you can prove that she misled you possibly have a cause of action if you signed under duress or a mistaken belief that these documents were in respect of something else.

However after 11 years it is highly likely that the court would throw any claim out simply because of the delay. There is a legal maxim which says "equity will not suffer a delay".

It may be worth speaking to a few solicitors to see if you could get one to take this on for you on a no win no fee basis unless you wanted to spend a lot of money in legal costs but it would be irresponsible of me to tell you that your chances are high.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.


Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile