How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1301
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

Hello My father in law at 87 has been diagnosed as suffering

This answer was rated:


My father in law at 87 has been diagnosed as suffering with asbestosis. The doctors have recommended he claim but have not provided details of where to write and I am certain there must be a direct route, rather than the many claims handlers who charge 25% of the claim if successful. Can you provide an address>

Many thanks

Peter Butcher
Hi thank you for your question, I will assist you with this.

The government do have a scheme which is a one off lump sum payment for someone depending upon their circumstances, however, if they came into contact with this through their employers (if not MOD) then they may have to pursue a civil claim.

May I ask is this the particular route you were thinking of?
Do you know how your father in law was exposed to asbestos?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



The medics think he could have contracted it in his early twenties whilst an electrician and working on site. He had a number of employers so it would be difficult to name a particular one. It seems a one off payment is what the doctors were referring to.


Thanks for your prompt response.



Thanks for the information Peter.

I believe based on what you have said, the doctor is referring to the government scheme. For someone over the age of 77 at diagnosis, if they fall within the eligibility criteria, then they would receive a lump sum payment of £12,945.

This is the link to the government site which will assist you - - and this is the link to the claim form -

You do not need to use a claims management company but please be aware that sometimes initial claims are rejected - for no good reason - so you must ensure that if this happens you push further.

I hope this assists.

If there is anything else I can assist you with on this matter, please ask.

Kasare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks for your assistance.


I'll give it a go.



Good luck! I hope it works out well.