How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have had 2 harassment orders made against me by a person

This answer was rated:

I have had 2 harassment orders made against me by a person who was having an affair with my wife.

Question I have is, am I able / allowed to get access to and read what the person who served the orders on me has written via the police records, and if so, how do I go about doing so please?

The 2 orders were served on me by 2 different police stations at different dates, and go back 3 or 4 years.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is there a reason you want this information please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo


Thank you for your reply / question.


I guess Jo, it's just a question of my trying / wanting to find out what he put in his complaint/s against me and if I am at liberty to see the statements he gave to the police which resulted in me being served the two orders.


Thank you for your help.


Kind regards




I'm having a few connection problems at the moment. Please bear with me and I will respond as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Jo, and no problem whatsoever.




I'm back in.

Do you mean harassment warnings?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo


Sorry, yes, harassment warnings.




Kind regards



Has he made any subsequent allegations against you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo


No he hasn't.


I received the first warning back in February 09, and then a further warning around September 2011.


Thank you.




I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

He will have made some allegation to the police and there will be a record of it. The document you are seeking is called a CRIS.

However, you cannot get access to the CRIS reports unless you have a good reason - like the fact that there is a subsequent allegations which you intend to defend.

You can always make a freedom of information request to the police but they will refuse it on grounds of proportionality.

The only other alternative is to seek an injunction at the civil courts forcing the chief constable to hand over this information so that you can begin an action in defamation. There are two problems with that. The first is that its expensive. The second is that you are time barred unfortunately as you had one year from the defamatory statement.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile