How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I own a small van that I currently use exclusively for personal

This answer was rated:

I own a small van that I currently use exclusively for personal purposes. What would I have to do if in future I wanted to use the van occasionally for commercial purposes, "man with a van" services, small removals etc.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : You simply need to add for business to your inurance.
Alex Watts : That would cover you
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

So if insurance is valid for business use, then there are no other legal require before using the van commercially? What about tax etc?

Alex Watts :

No other requirements. Car tax and everything is the same.

Alex Watts :

In terms of personal tax you can claim 45p a mile against your tax as a business expense.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am already registered self employed as a sole trader (language trainer and consultant) . To use the van would I need to register again as a sole trader in a separate business? Or can all my sources of income be declared together?

If you are already registered as self employed with hmrc then no. You would complete am annual return as normal.