How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We are a small building company and have finished a sizeable

This answer was rated:

We are a small building company and have finished a sizeable contract and building control has signed off the job complete we have given the customer completion certificates gas and electricts but still to give him a gareentee for some windows of which we are still to pay final moneys on .
The customer still owes us over £10000.00 on the contract alone with another £12500.00 of extras we have told him the window supplyer will send that out after they have been paid . we seem to be geting no where please could you advise what we now do
many thanks

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request full payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thank you for your reply what do you surgest we do about the extra works works we under took works that he instructed

Alex Watts : You should include that as part of your overall claim.

That will take it well over the £10,000 .00 to go through the small claims court what happens here

Alex Watts : Over £10,000 you only need representation if it goes to trial.
Alex Watts : Under £10,000 you can represent yourself.
Alex Watts : In short if the matter is defended it will be heard before a judge who will decide.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?

Yes thank you is this something you could deal with for us ? or recomend someone

Alex Watts : Sadly as much as I would like to I can not accept instructions.
Alex Watts : But you can search for any high street solicitor and they can help.

Thank you again regards XXXXX XXXXX

Alex Watts : Happy to help David. Please remember to leave feedback before you go today.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you