How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49826
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

where I work,a deputy manager lied about my name.she told the

Customer Question

where I work,a deputy manager lied about my name.she told the manager that one of my workmates told her she doesn't want to work with me,cos I cause her work mate denies to have said that.and she turned to say ,it could be a miscommunication when the manager had spoken to my workmate and denied.She didn't go back to my workmate to clarify really meant she wanted to create problem for me.what is your advice in this?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.Can you please tell me how long have you have you been with your employer

JACUSTOMER-7b6w1p2w- :

will be 4 years in may

Ben Jones :

ok thank you, please leave it with me. I am in a tribunal today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you this afternoon. There is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you

JACUSTOMER-7b6w1p2w- :


Ben Jones :

Many thanks for your patience. First of all I must make t clear that you cannot just get compensation for this incident. The law will not just compensate you for your name being mentioned in this case and something incorrect being attributed to it – such claims do not exist. So you need to forget about compensation now and deal with it in the usual way that such workplace issues are dealt with and the following steps are recommended:

  1. First of all, and if appropriate, you should try and resolve the issue informally with the person responsible for the acts you are complaining of.
  2. If the above does not work or is not a viable option, you should consider raising a formal grievance with the employer by following the company's grievance policy. This formally brings the issue to the attention of the employer and they will have a duty to investigate and deal with it.
  3. If, following a grievance, the employer fails to take any action or the action they take is inappropriate, the employee would need to seriously consider their next steps. Unfortunately, employment law does not allow employees to make a direct claim about such incidents. As such, the most common way of claiming is by resigning first and then submitting a claim for constructive dismissal in an employment tribunal (subject to having at least 2 years' continuous service with the employer). The reason for resigning would be to claim that by failing to act appropriately, the employer has breached the implied terms of mutual trust and confidence and failed to provide a safe working environment and that there was no other option but to resign. However, this step should only be used as a last resort as it can be risky, after all it will result in the employment being terminated.

So these are your legal options so consider them carefully before you decide on how to act.

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 years ago.
Hello Ntombi, please let me know if I have answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thank you