How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I act as insurance broker for my client. In 2012 a Household

Customer Question

I act as insurance broker for my client. In 2012 a Household Proposal form was completed through Nelson Policies at Lloyds requesting Accidental Damage cover on both Buildings & Contents.
In 2014 a claim was subsequently received for accidental gamage to a bathroom sink. The insurers have declined the claim on the basis that accidental damage was never included within the policy.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

What is your query please and was additional premium paid to the insurers for the accidental damage cover add on? Did the insurer confirm the add on accidental damage cover?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Accidental damage was requested in the original our presentation to Nelson Policies by email on the 31/5/2012.

A premium was agreed with Nelson Policies & cover was incepted on the 6/6/2012.

On the 22/7/2012 a Proposal form was completed by the client on which Accidental damage was ticked for both Buildings & Contents, this form was subsequently emailed by ourselves to Nelson Policies on the 26/7/2012.

At no stage did Nelson Policies state that Accidental Damage was not included.

Copies of all correspondence are available.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. It does seem that the insurer should honour the accidental cover claim in that case.

I would suggest that a formal complaint be lodged with the insurer about refusing the claim incorrectly and if this doesn't help, to take the matter further to the financial ombudsman.

Hope this helps