How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I pay the mortgage on the house i live in but the property

This answer was rated:

I pay the mortgage on the house i live in but the property is in my girl friends name. It is an ex council house so my girlfriends contribution to the purchase was her tenants discount which amountedto£35000.
I sold a property And contributed the equity from the sale and my parents contributed another £35000. Which was used to enlarge the property from a 3 to a 5 bedroomed house. Our relationship has now ended and I am concerned as to what my position would be legally with regard to the money I have put into the house.

How much money do you think your contribution (including your parents') amounts to towards the property?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

£50000 approx.

Thank you.

A resulting trust has arisen in your favour as you have contributed to the purchase price of the property although you are not listed on the mortgage or the deeds.

You should ask your ex to either pay you this money or to hold it in trust for you until such a time as the property is sold or she is able to pay the money to you.

You may read more about this here

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you