How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50165
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Hi, I left my previous place of work in December , it was a

This answer was rated:

Hi, I left my previous place of work in December , it was a training center where I taught barbering. They have a website in which my photo is on it, I have emailed them asking to take it of but I had no reply so I rang them to ask them to please take it off, I have just looked at the website and my picture is still on there. What can I do?
Thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

You can argue that your photo amounts to personal data because it is something from which you can be readily identified. In that case the employer would have a duty to adhere to a number of data protection principles, one of which is to process the data for a legal purpose for which it was initially obtained. That means that if the photo was obtained to represent you as an employee of the company and placed on their site for that reason, once your employment terminates and the reason for which the photo was taken no longer applies, the employer should not keep it or use it for any longer.


You can first contact them and tell them that they are likely breaching the Data Protection Act with their actions and ask them again to take it down. If they refuse you can report them to the Information Commissioner’s Office but forcing them to take it down may be difficult and you won’t be able to claim any compensation unless you have suffered any losses as a result, which is unlikely. So try to make them act by asserting some pressure and threatening to take the matter further, such as to the ICO.

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you