How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If a contract for services has a auto renewal clause which

This answer was rated:

If a contract for services has a auto renewal clause which must be cancelled giving 3 months notice , is there a cooling off period or does notice have to be received by the supplier before the 3 months ? Can the contract be cancelled on any other grounds ( unhappy with the service) ?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Did you agree a cooling off period?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No cooling off period is stated in the terms and conditions
Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

If you didn't agree cooling off rights then they would not apply unless this is a distance sale and so covered by the distance selling regulations. Even then you would only have 7 days from the date of the contract.

You would be able to cancel if they breached the contract so fundamentally that it struck at the heart of the contract rendering it useless but thats pretty rare.

If you do cancel unlawfully though then they would only have a lost profits claim which will be nothing like the sum due under the contract.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you