How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12188
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Mother passed away left me her house , in will still got small

This answer was rated:

Mother passed away left me her house , in will still got small mortage on itwhich we are taking on.tranfer of title deeds to our name , but we found out that my father who died 12 years ago name is XXXXX XXXXX deeds . Lawyer says it will would cost originally £250.00 to transfer deeds to our name .now because my fathers name is XXXXX XXXXX it will cost £800 to £1000 plus her fee of £1200 to get deeds changed surely that is excesive cost.
Thank you for your question.

If there is no survivorship clause in the title deeds where by the house automatically transferred from joint names to that of your mother then the lawyer will have to get confirmation to both estates instead of just one and the fee of £1200 could easily be justified. However I'm not sure what the £800 to £1000 represents. The costs of confirmation charged by the sheriff court would be about £430 for two estates and the registration fees would be a few hundred pounds depending on the value of the house being transferred.

You should ask for a breakdown of the outlays but the fee is about right I have to say. Different lawyers charge at different rates of course so you are allowed to shop around for a cheaper quote if you wish.

Happy to discuss further.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you