How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son has total care of his 3year old son and would like to

This answer was rated:

My son has total care of his 3year old son and would like to apply for his sons 1st passport. The mother is a registered drug addict and spends time in and out of prison.She does not see the child .Who can we ask to sign the application form without it going backwards and forwards.Social service will not do it as they havnt known him for 3years.All we want to do is take our son and grandson on a nice holiday.Your help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is your son named on the Birth Certificate?
Does he have a Residence Order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Claire, we have not been back to the Law Center.My son is named on the birth certificate and he does not have a residential order in place as it is so hard to keep track of where the mother is at any one time.





What makes you think that her signature is needed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We need to put the mothers details on the application form as we have been told this.It does not need her signature but it is very hard to get a child's passport under the fathers name as the passport office usually need clarify that the mother agrees to the passport been issued.We don't know who to turn to in the legal profession to say they have known my son and grandson for the last two years.There is a box on the application form for my son to write details he feels are relevant but we don't know how to word things properly. I hope this makes some since.

It makes perfect sense HOWEVER you do not need to be so worried
His doctor can sign the photo
In the section that is available simply put that the child resides with him and that he receives the Child Benefit and gives authority for this to be checked if need be
All should be well
I hope that this is of assistance - and that you have a great holiday
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you