How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71143
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

It has been raining into one of the main bedroom cupboards

This answer was rated:

It has been raining into one of the main bedroom cupboards since December last year. The landlord, though having send a roofer around a few times, did not have the problem solved, claiming that the real job could only be done when it stops raining. The cupboard is full of my clothes and other stuff and there is n other space in the house which could accomodate these things. The landlord has not offered any compensation. (We pay close to £6000 a month to live here). Are we intitled to any re-imbursment? We are leaving in May but are worried that he will try to keep our 2 month deposit (he has a reputation). Where do we stand?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason he is likely to try to keep your deposit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No not at first sight, but I am sure he will try to find something, like his pine floor in the living room having slight indentations from wear & tear.


Have you been using the bedroom?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is used as my study/guest room. Nobody has been sleeping in it, since the room is packed with items from the cupboard which makes it impossible to exend the sofa bed and it smells quit mouldy.

Thank you.

You do have a claim here. Ultimately this is in disrepair and the landlord is liable.

You certainly have a claim for your damaged goods.

It might also be argued that you have a claim for reduction in rent to reflect the fact that you haven't been able to use this room fully. Since this does seem to be a spare bedroom but wasn't really in use anyway we have to be realistic and except the fact that it is unlikely that the reduction would be any more than roughly 10% of the rent.

Nevertheless, you do have a claim.

If the landlord does try to withhold your deposit then you could always sue for that sum and for a reduction and an amount to cover the cost of the damage to your property.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help. That is all I need to know right now.


No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you