How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

ive been owed £2200 since the end of november 2013 from a local

Customer Question

ive been owed £2200 since the end of november 2013 from a local builder who i layed a concrete floor for, our terms and conditions state payment due within a week of reciept of invoice. we have issued many reminders had many emails and texts even been to his home he agrees he owes the money has promissed to pay and has not he has not issued us with any with hold notice just says he has not gt the money .he lives in a property worth about £800,000 drives a 2013 top bmw and i have recentley found out he does this to a lot of local trades men what do you think is the best way forward without it costing to much as we are a very small family run business thankyou
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Are you prepared to sue him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Depends whats involved and what security I will get on getting the full amount plus costs back

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Well, there are never any guarantees of that. Ultimately its one thing to get judgment and another to get the money.

Its easy enough to sue though. You can issue here

If this is £2200 then the costs will be very low. Probably just over £100.

If you have already given him fair warning then there's no point in a letter before action. If you haven't warned him of your intention to sue then it might be worth doing that and giving him 7 days notice.

You will get a CCJ with costs and interest.

Whether you will get the money or not is another matter. Obviously he may well just pay, Its not the largest sum and not worth bankruptcy or a closing down over.

If he doesn't then you would have to consider sening bailiffs in. That does rack up the costs although you can reclaim that from him but there are people who do escape the attention of bailiffs.

Its always a risk when you sue but if you don't sue then you wont get anything so it depends whether you are willing to write the money off or you want to fight for it.

Can I clarify anything for you?