How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49816
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I work in a large well own department store and while serving

This answer was rated:

I work in a large well own department store and while serving a customer at the till I was suddenly prodded on the arm by a manager who didn't even say my name either just to tell me something about a product which had no relevance to me . I was startled and the customer asked me if I was ok. I do have a faint bruise on my arm. What should happen next. Thanks

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

What do you hope to achieve in this situation please?

Customer: I would not like the manager to lose his job if that be the case but I do think that he should be demoted as he is quite an arrogant person thanks.
Ben Jones :

OK, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX this with me - I will look into this for you, get my response ready and get back to you on here. No need to wait around and you will get an email when I have responded, thank you

Ben Jones :

Many thanks for your patience. At this stage, from hat you have said, this does not appear to be a serious issue. Whilst being prodded once on the arm is not something that would be viewed seriously, unless it was clearly meant as a bullying attempt, you can of course make your feelings clear to the employer. They could investigate this and see if any further action is necessary, such as talking with the culprit or eve disciplining them if they believe this was done maliciously and with intent to injure. If you personally believe that to deal with formally, you can even go as far as raising a formal grievance, but apart from doing that, your options are then limited – you can legally consider resigning and claiming constructive dismissal but in the circumstances that is unlikely to succeed because of the nature of the incident and the fact it is not going to be considered serious enough to justify going down that route.


If you do not wish for the person to be dismissed you can certainly inform the employer of this, but you cannot demand that he is demoted or that another penalty is imposed – the employer decides that based on their investigation and what they feel should happen. So your rights are to raise this issue and bring it to the attention of the employer, who will then take it in their hands and deal with it as they feel appropriate.

Customer: Thank you very much for your answer. As I am only a number in the partnership even if I have been there 15years i do believe that management always look after their own kind , and I suppose that I will just have to go with the flow and hope that he will at least be disciplined and that I will just carry on from there. Thanks for your reply c. Goldie
Ben Jones :

Yes I hope they act fairly too, but only consider taking formal action if this turns into a more regular occurrence which cold amount to bullying, rather than an isolated incident

Customer: Thanks again mr jones for all your help.
Ben Jones :

You are most welcome, all the best

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you