How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi I am unemployed, I live alone i.e no family members or children

This answer was rated:

Hi I am unemployed, I live alone i.e no family members or children living with me. I do however host a foreign student in my home. I do not claim any benefits. I receive £100 per week and I provide bed breakfast and evening meal out of this money. Please can you tell me if i am entitled to any unemployment benefit as I am finding it hard to make ends meet. Thank you.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Do you get housing benefit or rent please?

I do get housing benefit as I did work 16 hours a week up until the 21st of march last Friday when I left my employment. I will be notifying them this week

Alex Watts : If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit the income from a lodger will not affect how much Housing Benefit you receive if you charge £20 per week or less.
Alex Watts : If you include meals as part of your lodger agreement, then 50% of the rent charged over £20.00 a week can be disregarded for Housing Benefit/Council Tax purposes. This may make it worthwhile to provide meals to reduce the amount of Housing Benefit you may lose. If meals are not included, all of the rent over £20.00 a week will be counted for Housing Benefit/Council Tax purposes.
Alex Watts : I don't know what you get for HB but lets assume for maths it's £80 a week
Alex Watts : Lets also assume you would get £65 a week from the DWP

That's good as I provide evening meal and breakfast, also does this meanthat i can claim unemployment benefit.

Alex Watts : Yes it does.
Alex Watts : Your benefit may be reduced as you have income over and above the threshold but you should be entitled to something
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Alex thank you so much I was getting worried as to how i would manage

Alex Watts : It's also worth trying these.
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : To see exactly what you can get,
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?

No i'm so grateful for your advice Thank you.


oh just one last thing do i have to be working 16 hours to receive housing benefit thank you

Alex Watts :

Yes I understand this.

Alex Watts :

You may still be entitled to benefit, depending on your overall income

Alex Watts :

But there is no harm in applying

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.


Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you