How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3844
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I open a fixed-rate bond with the Santander about 2 years ago.

This answer was rated:

I open a fixed-rate bond with the Santander about 2 years ago. I'm disabled, and my mother has Enduring POA which enables her to sign on my behalf. We didn't encounter any problems with this first bond, However, once my bond expired I decided to open another bond with Santander, so even though they had our details we had supply passports, bills, and the POA. Once again my mother signed on my behalf and as far as we were concerned everything was fine until we received a latter stating that I must sign my name myself or if not then I must get a latter from my GP. My mother went to Santander and their response was the same. We feel pretty angry regarding this and feel the POA is enough

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

I am sorry to hear of the issues you are having. Unfortunately banks can sometimes take a very hardline view on issues like this for regulatory reasons and this often comes across as an obtuse attitude.

The issue here really is that the bank is behaving this way for security reasons, but such an inflexible approach is not helpful.

Banks under their customer charter are required to treat you fairly. If they fail do so then you will have a complaint against them.

Clearly they indicated that your POA was suitable to administer this account. To go back on this without explanation is not fair.

What I would suggest you do is write to the bank and highlight your circumstances and that you were led to believe that your attorney would be able to administer bond. Say you are disappointed as you specifically chose HSBC on the understanding that they would be accommodating of your needs. Say that if they do immediately accept your attorneys instructions you will report the matter to the Financial Ombudsman.‎
If they do not respond then make a complaint to the Ombudsman. The FoS will be able to order the bank to pay compensation or take action.

Can I assist any further?

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you