How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I was born illegitimate in June 1944, my mother died at the

This answer was rated:

I was born illegitimate in June 1944, my mother died at the age of 30 years in September 1945. In the court records in Whitehaven, Cumbria, it reads: 16th Nov.1944,case Number:724. ( Bastardy charge ) Annie wear-V- John R Smith.
And on 25th Jan.1945. Case number:51. shows same charge, and a figure of
eight shillings per week awarded, plus court costs. It does not show any other info as to where the address of the summons was sent to. I did ask the courts if they had any info but none found. Could you tell me if there are any other routes I can try , to find out if the above maintenance, and, or costs were paid, and to whom at that time.
I did not have any, siblings and have no relatives that are alive to ask. Any that are distant relatives do not know. I have been searching for a few years, even asked social services about me being fostered, my foster parents died some years ago. would there be a solicitor involved at the time do you think? If so, how would I find out.

Many Thanks

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Given that your mother was still alive at that time why do you think it was not paid to her?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Clare


Thank you for your time. The question regarding why my mother did not receive any payment, that I do not know. I was born in a convalescent home in Gilsland and my mother died from TB, in a TB hospital at a place called Blencathra in Cumbria. I was taken back to Whitehaven Cumbria where my mother was born and bred. I did not know my grandparents, who passed away many years ago. I do have certificates of my grandparents and my mother. I was led to believe my birth father did belong to Whitehaven, but no evidence, or know where to start, especially when his name was not on my birth certificate. The only info is the court records as I have told you previously. The money is not as important as finding any family that my father may have had, and I may have half brothers or sisters.


I do emphasise, that if I did find any information, that I would take advice before attempting to make any contact with any relative.


My only thoughts were, if a summons to court was issued, did the courts have an address to serve it, and I am uncertain if there were

solicitors acting on behalf of my parents. I would have thought that

the courts would have a main records office in the UK, which details

of cases would be sent to in case local courts misplaced local records.


I will gladly supply you with info that you may need, if you think it will help.


Rind Regards


Michael Wear

I am sorry - you have the name of your father (although I accept that Smith is not useful) - what further information were you seeking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello again, thanks for replying,. I have the name ( Wear) same as my

mothers name, my fathers name was Smith, sadly, needle in a haystack

scenario. As I asked earlier, what Dept in the UK government would hold details of the court records that I am researching. If I had been adopted, it may have been easier, but I was fostered, and the social services cannot find any history of those details, that is if they have searched thoroughly.




I am sorry but the bleak answer is that there is no other information that will be available to you via the courts.
Even if the records are still in existence (unlikely given the disruption of the war years) you are not entitled to see them - despite the fact that you are the child involved.
Your only real option is to try using a Professional Genealogist
I am sorry not to give you better news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you