How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Me and my friend have been working for a builder on a fixed

Customer Question

Me and my friend have been working for a builder on a fixed daily rate,he owed us 5 days pay and he asked to work the Saturday which we did so he was putting up roof trusses and wanted us to build 5 layers of block on the gable ends so he could sit a roof on it.cut a long storey short that Saturday evening strong winds came knocked over the walls and roof trusses and we told him it wasn't the right thing to do but he wanted them up,we got a call on the Monday and we went cleaned up and rebuilt so he could put his floor joists back in. He refused to pay us for all the 7 days and know wants 2500 pounds for the damage done by the wind,his trusses and the brickwork
Mark laycock
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

You should to write and set out your losses and ask for a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court. Make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they refuse to pay you then you can issue proceedings which can be done online at: or by competing form N1 at:

The Court will then issue the claim which will be sent to the seller and they will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce it. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a hearing. If the losses are £10,000 or less then it will be a small claim and you do not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

JACUSTOMER-whu2tb6i- :

What about his claim against me and my friend

Alex Watts :

He can try and bring that as a defence but he would have to show this was the case.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

JACUSTOMER-whu2tb6i- :

So he has no claim against us because of the wind we were working for him on day work not just bricklaying but helping out generally

Alex Watts : Yes that is correct.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: