How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My daughter was due to get married on 28 Dec last year. On

This answer was rated:

My daughter was due to get married on 28 Dec last year. On 24 December, her fiancee cancelled. I have lost ~£20,000 on the wedding that never happened. They bought a house for £219,000 in November last year. If they sell and cancel the £208,000 mortgage, there will be a £10,000 cancellation charge. They also own an aprtment with a tenant, worth about £85k with a mortgage of £68k. What legal redress do we have on him?

I am afraid none as he cannot be forced to marry anyone and unless he agrees to refund the money lost as a result of his cancellation, or unless he had agreed that he will be liable for it in the first place, there is no valid claim against him.

How the mortgage payments and properties are to be dealt with will depend on the nature of ownership of these properties and what your daughter and her fiancee decide/agree upon.

Sorry, but I can only advise you truthfully on the law.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have uploaded a document signed and dated by my daughter and her ex fiancee. Is this legally enforceable?

Yes, the agreement is enforceable between themselves.

Hope this clarifies.
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you