How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Hi I need help I own a property where I have a access problem

Customer Question

Hi I need help I own a property where I have a access problem for the pass 20 yrs I have had access to my property in the way of a key or by some in the street have a key to the gate our access is limited due to the 1979 road access law and I'm ok about it however I feel I should have access in case of emergency or to have maintainable in my property however today the lock have changed with a letter stating thT I shall or have access to my property where do I stand as a home owner
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 4 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a lawyer with over 15 years experience. I will help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

I am a little unclear about your situation. Can you clarify the following please. Are you a homeowner or a tenant. If a tenant are you a local authority tenant. YOu have lived her for over 20 years, can you describe what the access arrangement has been. Can you tell me why it has suddenly changed, it seems with no discussion with you beforehand?

JACUSTOMER-qys8r55y- : I am a home owner I've lived and brought my home of the council 18 yrs ago I had a key for the gate which I was happy with now this as been taken away without my consent
JACUSTOMER-qys8r55y- : My husband and myself feel very unsafe with the lock on the gate without access with the gate there and the parking issues in the area it cause a lot of stress and anxiety knowing that now I have to write a letter to have access to services and that there isn't anyone with a key to open the gate
JACUSTOMER-qys8r55y- : Not happy what going on ???
LondonlawyerJ :

I was having my tea.

LondonlawyerJ :

If you want me to help you then you will need to explain a bit more clearly. What sort of access do yo have. I tke it this is a road gate. Why have you not had access right up to your house.

LondonlawyerJ :

This is not an instant response call centre type service. I will be on off this site through the evening there may be a wait but I will get back to you as soon as I can.

JACUSTOMER-qys8r55y- : Sorry just upset to what I came home to my number is XXXXXXXXXXX the road to my house comes under the road traffic act 1979 when I moved in 1993 there was no gate and we was able to have access to service and I was happy with this as I had young children and the area was safe for them when the gate went up at first there was no lock this has happen over the yrs and I as a home owner had a key now the council have changed the key and the lock and I've no access I have to ring and ask however the offices are no open weekends or evening and if I have a gardener or painter that require access to my property then u can't get access what can u do I have emailed them with my concern
LondonlawyerJ :

I don't think there is a 1979 Road Traffic Act are you sure this is the At you mean. I can check in Wilkinson's (the traffic lawyer's bible) later, but are you sure this is the act you mean?

JACUSTOMER-qys8r55y- : The 1979 highway and traffic act
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Do you mean a barrier has been placed in your road and can only be opened by residents and emergency services?
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Its also called a road traffic barrier. Is this what you mean?