How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi. Some years ago I gave a loan to a girl.Deal was she should

This answer was rated:

Hi. Some years ago I gave a loan to a girl.Deal was she should start pay me back after change house... After a time she broke contact. Blocked be from Facebook, changed phone number, not answering email and probably moved from last known address. Is it possible for me get my money back ?

How much was the loan for and when should she have paid it back?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

When you say girl, is she an adult?

She is UK based as far as you know?

Now much does she owe?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes she's an adult Working as a teacher as far as I know. She is living in uk for sure The loan was £40.000

You do have a claim. This is a sum of money that realistically could only have been a loan rather than a gift.

You can resolve the problem of not having her address by using a tracing agent to locate her. They are under £100 and can find most people within a day. Since this is a sum over £10k it will exceed the small claims court so you can reclaim the costs from her. You can actually issue at her last known address but then it will be easier for her to get any judgment set aside if she didn't get the summons. Also, I would suggest a letter before action warning her of your intention to sue so its best to find her.

Thereafter though you can issue here

The obstacle will be costs. This will be allocated to the fast track so costs are an issue. You will recover from her ultimately but you have to outlay first.

However, if she is in regular work then she is worth suing.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile