How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi, my fiancée is American while I am French. We live in London,

This answer was rated:

Hi, my fiancée is American while I am French. We live in London, and myself I have been living and working there for 7 years (thus I could apply for UK citizenship). In which country (France, UK, USA?) should we get married knowing that: 1) I want to be able to live and work in the USA at some point and 2) I want to keep my wealth separated from my wife to be.
I would suggest getting married in the US if you wish to live there eventually, also, pre nuptial agreements are recognised in all states in the US so you may get one drawn up before you get married.
You will need to apply for a K 1 visa to get married in the US and your fiancée will need to file a petition for alien fiancée using form I -129F
See here for further information
Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We are thus planning to get married in the USA (state of Delaware) next May. After the wedding we will come back to live in London for several years at least. We have had conflicting information on the K1 visa. Do we need one if we do not intent to remain in the USA after the wedding. Additionally, do we still need a pre-nup if we are going to live in the UK? How do I make sure that my assets are segregated in that case?
Please open a new question.