How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Can the term of a Legal Charge be dated as an event rather

This answer was rated:

Can the term of a Legal Charge be dated as an event rather than an exact date - for instance the date of death of the person owing the money.


If so how is  the clause specifying the term of the charge worded. I am wanting to alter an existing legal charge on a house to only end at the date of death of my ex-partner who is living in it.



Yes, this is possible.

A Deed of variation would be required to vary the original legal charge by specifying that "The Charge and any security created under it will automatically determine or cease upon the death of xxxxxxxxname of person occupying the propertyxxxx"

The Deed should be then registered at the Land Registry.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for this, could you answer one more question about this:


If my ex wants to move, can I transfer the present Legal Charge + variation onto the new property or do I have to draw up a fresh charge?

You would need to draw up a new charge for the other property.

All the best
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Finally, is there a way I can get hold of the official version of the present Legal Charge as held by the Land Registry. I have mislaid my copy in the move and the solicitor who drew it up has stopped her business.


I will click on the Rate to Finish anyway to close the question but I would appreciate an answer to this so that I can see what needs change.

You may try and contact the Land Registry to see if they are able to supply a copy of the legal charge the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help. Is there a simple template online for drafting a new legal charge.


If I make up one using the template, of course I will ask legal advice before going forward with it, but writing it from a template should reduce the overall cost of the process.

I am afraid I am not aware of any online template.