UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience

Hi. I have a mortgage with a X partener. He has not lived

Hi. I have a mortgage with a X partener. He has not lived here for 4 years. He does not pay towards the mortgage. He wants nothing to do with the house. I cannot take him off the mortgage, i would have to shut it down and then apply for a new one which i would not get on my earnings , even though i have been paying for 4 years. Is there anything i could do to have the house put in my name only? He is in agreement with this. thank you Kathryn

You may not put the deeds in you name without the consent of the mortgagee but you may get him to sign a declaration of trust stating that he holds the legal interest in the property for you as the beneficiary.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, for him to sign a declaration of trust ,would that be done by a solicitor, or can we do it ourselves in the form of a letter with him signing it? If a solicitor needed what would that cost?

It is advisable to get a solicitor to draw it up to ensure it is properly,done, it should cost a few hundred pounds at most.

All the best