How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi. I have a mortgage with a X partener. He has not lived

This answer was rated:

Hi. I have a mortgage with a X partener. He has not lived here for 4 years. He does not pay towards the mortgage. He wants nothing to do with the house. I cannot take him off the mortgage, i would have to shut it down and then apply for a new one which i would not get on my earnings , even though i have been paying for 4 years. Is there anything i could do to have the house put in my name only? He is in agreement with this. thank you Kathryn

You may not put the deeds in you name without the consent of the mortgagee but you may get him to sign a declaration of trust stating that he holds the legal interest in the property for you as the beneficiary.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, for him to sign a declaration of trust ,would that be done by a solicitor, or can we do it ourselves in the form of a letter with him signing it? If a solicitor needed what would that cost?

It is advisable to get a solicitor to draw it up to ensure it is properly,done, it should cost a few hundred pounds at most.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you