How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I wanted to ask about obtaining permanent residence, I have

Customer Question

I wanted to ask about obtaining permanent residence, I have lived in the uk for almost 8years, and have worked before starting university where I was classified as a home student and I was unaware that I need health insurance as I was already registered with NHS. I want to know if my 4years of university will not count as qualifying me for permanent residence now?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

As a student and if you are an EEA national, you are required to have held comprehensive health insurance during that time or an EHIC for the entire duration, otherwise I am afraid your time will not be counted as a student.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. Does it not matter that I started university before the policy come into force in 2011 as I had no knowledge that such a requirement was in place. I only have the EHIC for the past two years not for the full 4years as i didn't know I needed it and I have no ties with my birth Country (Slovakia) as I moved with my family to the UK from the US.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
In that case you should be fine as you will have 6 years anyway without the 2 years.

All the best