How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have two large trees outside the front of my property which

This answer was rated:

I have two large trees outside the front of my property which are on council land, one of which is a pine tree. The branches are overhanging the front of our property: blocking light, dropping pine needles in the guttering etc. and cones all over the front garden. I have asked the Council to cut these branches back but they have refused saying there is no health and safety issue. I feel there is as my husband has already twisted his ankle on cones that fell into our garden, not to mention the 'birds muck' left by all the nesting pigeons (I can't even leave my car in the front garden as it gets covered!). Any comments would be appreciated. T Wills

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you reported it to the Ombudsman yet please?


No, I wasn't aware there was an ombudsman I could use.

Alex Watts : You need to write to the Chief Officer of the council and lodge a formal complaint.
Alex Watts : If they do not uphold the complaint then you should complain to the local government ombudsman
Alex Watts : They offer a free, independent service and will investigate your issue.
Alex Watts : They can be contacted at
Alex Watts : But you need to have written to the council first.
Alex Watts : Follow the above two steps and hopefully your complaint will be resolved.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thank you. I will follow those steps

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you