How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I hired a gardening firm last week to tidy up my terrace and

Customer Question

I hired a gardening firm last week to tidy up my terrace and was told it would be £25/hour/gardener. They did a good job and the man hours were itemised in an invoice for payment.

Additionally I asked them to replace certain plants. They went off and purchased them on my behalf and these were itemised separately on the invoice. The total was £800.

I paid the invoice in good faith and then asked for copies of receipts for the plants as the cost seemed excessive. They are refusing point blank to provide the receipts and have acted very obstructively. I fully believe the reason they will not provide evidence of the cost of the plants is because they have falsified the costs.

There argument for not providing them is that I paid them for a service. This is true in terms of the man hours, however the plants were not a service they were discrete consumables purchased on my behalf by them.

How can I get hold of the receipts? Is this a case for the small claims court or even the police? What options do I have?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

Your only complaint seems to be the lack of receipts. Presumably you want to see the mark up?