How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

i have just been stopped for speeding, the officer could not

Customer Question

i have just been stopped for speeding, the officer could not tell me what speed i was doing however his video fottage in his car showed him doing about 117mph to catch me up, the video does not show my car in full view all of the time, he was by him self, he admitted that he did not use vascar or any other form to determine my speed, he gave me a NIP which said excess speed in a national; is there enough evidence to prosecute me?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but realistically there is.

This was the way that speeding offences were always prosecuted before technology overtook us. The prosecutions were based upon the prior opinion of a police officer coupled with corroboration of his own speedometer as he travelled alongside or behind your vehicle and neither gained on you not lost you.

Its fair to say that they wouldn't prosecute if the difference in speed were only marginal as its a very imprecise method of gathering speed but bearing in mind the allegation is a speed of over 100mph and the national limit is only 70 mph the prior opinion of an officer corroborated by his own speedometer is perfectly adequate I'm afraid.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.