How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

We have a tenants in common agreement. I put down £191,000

This answer was rated:

We have a tenants in common agreement. I put down £191,000 on our home, the agreement we signed states that should we part I will get the £191K back and we then share equally the proceeds. It also states that all outgoings and income from the Property are to be on a joint and equal basis. I am disabled and unable to work, he pays the mortgage interest only and the utility bills, I pay for food. We are thinking of separating, does this mean I have to pay half the mortgage and utility bills back to him?

The agreement states that all outgoings are to be on a joint and equal basis which would mean both of you share the outgoings 50/50.

If the mortgage interest and utility bills are 1000 pounds a month and the food is 400 pounds a month, the total would be 1400 pounds which would mean 700 pounds each.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I thought because I put in all the money and he didn't put in any money , that was my share. Sorry I didn't mean to put in the bad service rating. If that is the case Will I have to pay him back

It is fine, if you left the bad rating by mistake, you may change it to positive now.

Obviously, under your agreement, you are entitled to get your 191K back.

I am assuming you are not married to him. If you are married, the courts will have the final say over how the assets are to be split up.

Can I help further?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No we are not married

Thank you. In that case, you are entitled to your 191K as agreed.

Hope this clarifies.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so I don't have to pay half of the utility bills, mortgage payments back?

You need to do that as that was what was agreed. He will need to pay half of the food bills back to you.

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you