How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a letter from the Compensation Recovery Unit of the

This answer was rated:

I have a letter from the Compensation Recovery Unit of the Department of Works and Pensions with regard to a car accident, in which I was a passenger, that happened on 18/3/1993 in Hungary. I subsequently, for few months, received a disability pension of about £65 per week. When I went back to work (long after I had put in a claim against the Hungarian insurance company) tried to get the pension back from me, without paying anything towards the substantial legal costs. My lawyer took this to the European Court who ruled that, since HMG could only recover money if they had paid part of the legal fees; my lawyer dealt with the matter with HMG. Some years later HMG made another attempt to get the money from me; I wrote back with what my lawyer had told me and heard nothing until their form arrived last week.
I have none of the documentation any more and only remember some of what happened. Since then I have lived abroad for many years, been divorced and remarried. I am now 74 years old; my wife and I get about £200 per week in state pension. I cannot afford to pay for legal advice - especially about a matter so long ago.
Please advise on what I should do.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : When does the period relate to please?

I do not understand your question. I received the letter last week (because it was addressed wrongly). Th form involved is dated 12/03/14. The accident was on 18/3/1993

Alex Watts : When did you get compensation please?

I do not remember. About 8 years after the accident - so 2001 - but I have no records of any sort.

Alex Watts :

Ok - any recovery therefore is statue barred.

Alex Watts :

They have 6 years to bring a claim for recovery. If they do not then it becomes statue barred under the Limitation Act 1980.

Alex Watts :

Therefore what they are saying, is that they are out of time.

Alex Watts :

They can continue to chase but they are not able to issue any Court proceedings because it is time barred.

Alex Watts :

Therefore you do not have to pay it back

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Thank you. I will contact them and tell them that answer.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you