How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72887
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I paid a local building contractor to convert part of my garage

Customer Question

I paid a local building contractor to convert part of my garage into a utility room and to remove the hedge to the front of my property to create a separate driveway as we currently share a driveway with the house next door.

He completed the work on the utility, although he didn't come back and complete snagging, but then we never saw him again despite numerous promises to attend and complete the works. He then stopped replying to my messages and we've not seen him since.

The hedge remains in place and we still share our driveway. What can I do to get my money back or the work completed?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How much did you pay please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't had a reply to my last msg which was sent about an hour ago.

Can you let me know what the status of my enquiry is pls?

Thank you

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

The builder is in breach of the provisions of the Supply of Goods and Services act for failing to carry out the job with reasonable care and skill or to a satisfactory standard or carry it out at all.

You are entitled to have the job done for the price quoted and if that means getting another contractor to finish the work and that costs more, you are entitled to the extra cost from the original builder as well as your money back from the original builder.

Obviously you are going to have to sue the original builder to get your money back but fortunately as this is under £10,000 you can easily do it yourself in the Small Claims Court and even if you lost for any reason, you would not have to pay solicitors legal costs other than a nominal amount (if he uses a solicitor) and of course you would have to pay the court costs.

I cannot see that he has any defence.

Here is the link to the Small Claims Court which you should find quick and easy to use

The judge will decide whether he owes you this money or not which obviously he does because he has been paid for something which he has not done.

I would also refer the matter to your local Trading Standards because they are really hot on rogue traders or builders who take money without doing the work.

Can I clarify anything for you?