How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

The question is regarding Permitted Development and the interpretation

Customer Question

The question is regarding Permitted Development and the interpretation of the rules.

I live in a 3 bed terraced house and I am looking at building a loft extension and a room to the rear of the house. The house conforms to all the requirements required for PD. Requirements such as Article 4, Conservation Area, 40 cubic meters increase etc.

The room at the rear of the house is going to be built on top of an existing bedroom, which currently has a pitched roof. Using the existing calculations 40 cubic metres will make the new room at the back of the house a small double bedroom. Constructing this rear bedroom will use the existing volume of the pitched roof (up to the length of the newly extended bedroom) as part of the 40 cubic allowance. This means the remaining area of the pitched roof not being used will continue from the outside wall of the new extension to the end of the house.

PD states that the cubic content of the original roof space should not be exceed by more than 40 cubic metres.

To increase the internal space of the new extension I want to replace the remaining area of the pitched roof with a flat roof and use this volume to increase the size of the room. Is this possible, and would this cause any issues if neighbours complained once built as I will still be within the 40 cubic metres allowed?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

It would appear possible from what you say as you will still be within the 40 cubic metres allowance but as a safeguard against possible neighbour objections or any future sales involving your property, I would advise you to apply for a lawful development certificate from your local council which should cost less than 100 pounds.

See here:

Hope this helps