How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My fiancée lives in the USA. She does not have a job. She is

This answer was rated:

My fiancée lives in the USA. She does not have a job. She is a widow and lives with her sister, she is 54. she does not own any property.

I live in the UK. I have a job. I have a house without a mortgage and savings. I am 67

We want to get married.  We plan to eventually buy a house in the USA and live there on my pensions. I intend to apply for leave to stay in America and I will be independent of any public funds assistance. 

Where is the best place to get married , UK or USA ?....

It is a personal choice but the US may be a better choice if you wish to make a pre nuptial agreement specifying how each of your assets are to be divided in case of a divorce.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My US fiancée has no assets whatsoever, she is a widow. I presume a prenuptial agreement made in America would help protect my assets in the event of a divorce, and i wish to return to the Uk. Is this the advice you would give me ?. How much protection would a prenuptial agreement grant me in the US....100% ??????
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Thank you for your question.
How far have you gone with looking at the Immigration requirements for the States?
Nothing is 100% guaranteed and there are legal requirements for such Agreements to be valid for example each of you require independent legal advice etc. you should appoint a local lawyer to advise and draft one for you.

You will also need to go through the correct immigration formalities if you wish to get married in the US or if your fiancée were to come to the UK to get married, there are fiancée visas available which would enable either of you or her to get married in either country.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you