How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Hello. I need some help with my employer. I have narcolepsy

Customer Question

Hello. I need some help with my employer. I have narcolepsy syndrome with cataplexy. In 2010 (approx) my employer ((the Home office) immigration) moved me to an office along with other persons who had a disability without consultation. They stated this was a reasonable adjustment to take me away from front line duty and the shift working environment. Please note they employed me knowing my disability and stated they could work around the shifts for me. The office has been going through a period of change for over two years and I went off with stress for 3 months a year ago. Around 7/8 months ago we were told the unit is shutting down. The unit consists of mainly disabled people due to their actions in 2010. The work has gone to UKBF. My unit changed to UKVI around 18 months ago however I have had no letter of confirmation of this. UKBF will not take the staff back with the work as we can not work the full range of shifts. In October/November 2013 they employed 2 senior managers to deal with the closing of the unit. They will not invoke their redeployment policy and are making up a way to get us new roles. They have managed to find places for the staff who can be more flexible and the unit is now running with minimal staff all with disabilities. The workload and environment is toxic and they seem to be having trouble finding me a new role. My condition has worsened and my night terrors have increased. My GP has signed me off for two months due to my disability but I am annoyed as I. Am loosing money due to not working at the weekends for which we are paid more. The unit they are trying to put us in will be mainly disabled staff again. It also involves shift work which I can not do. There are too many disabled staff for the vacancies in this unit and they will hold a local competition for the places. They will not state what will happen to me if I do not obtain a role in this unit. There response is they are trying to avoid the local competition by putting us all in this unit but the manager of this unit is off long term sick and no progress is being made. Can you help?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you please tell me how long you have been employed with out any breaks please.

Ben Jones :

Also what specifically do you want to achieve in the circumstances?