How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

In 2010 i had a dispute with talk talk regarding my home telephone

This answer was rated:

In 2010 i had a dispute with talk talk regarding my home telephone line. As a result they agreed to refund me the £127.99 with a cheque that was to pay for the reconection charge from bt when I went back to bt. I have two letters from talk talk in 2010 and another in 2011 confirming that the cheque had been re-sent to me but it never arrived! Having come across this old paperwork now I have been in contact with talk talk on the telephone and their help desk person refused to re issue the cheque as it was an old issue and my account is now closed! Please could you advise me how I could get my money from them without having to argue the details with an indian gentleman on the telephone?

Kind regards


Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is there a reason why you have waited this long to take action please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We just filed the paper work, forgot about it and just stumbled across it again now. we have two letters that clearly state that the cheque has been issued to my current address but it never arrived! The man on the help desk kept telling me that my account was closed and he would not re issue the cheque and where had i been for three years. Well ive been just here at this address but surely that is not the issue. The issue is where is the cheque?


There is never really any point in negotiating with the front line staff. They never have authority to make any decisions of any magnitude.

This is simple enough really. Just send them one letter by recorded delivery quoting the letters and send them copies if necessary although not originals obviously. Make clear that you will sue if you are not paid within 28 days. That letter will reach the right person fast enough and they will probably just reissue.

Failing that, just issue here

They will settle and if they do not they will lose at court. The fact that your account is closed is their problem really. It leaves them with an evidence shortage. Whether the cheque has been sent or not they should be able to ascertain whether its been cashed.

You can also complain to the Ombudsman but that isn't very quick.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you