How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If physical harm (self harm) has persistently occurred as a

This answer was rated:

If physical harm (self harm) has persistently occurred as a result of emotional abuse, is there any law to prevent such actions when knowing the abuse will lead to physical harm. Emotional abuse, from what i read, seems to be linked to domestic violence however i can't seem to find any law or area that directly deals with emotional abuse? Could anyone please direct me to sources, or explain emotional abuse in law and the areas to cover it.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My ex-partner would treat me badly, cheat on me. I would try to end the relationship but would always be manipulated into continuing the relationship. They would emotionally get me to ignore what had happened.


They knew this led me to suffer extreme depression and to self harm. However they continued to treat me the same way knowing how it impacted me emotionally but wouldn't allow me to leave the relationship. When i finally ended the relationship and kept to my word, they continued to harass me and lead me on for 9 months. Whilst making up lies about me, telling friends and family. As well as blaming me for their own actions and putting me down.


It is far more complicated than this but hopefully this gives you enough of an understanding.

Thanks. That is all I need to know.

I'm very sorry but the criminal law does not cover this conduct. This is not an offence.

These are just relationship issues which are yours to regulate in any way that you choose as is your right.

The police cannot become involved in relationship issues.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only area where the police will act domestically is if violence is involved then?
As well as harassment and slander? Do you have any source or suggestions as to where i can look in more detail about my particular circumstances.

Slander is a civil matter.

Harassment can be a criminal offence but this isn't harassment. This is just a relationship in which you were unhappy which is something that you are free to leave for any reason you choose. Things do not have to be unlawful before you leave a relationship.

I'm a criminal lawyer not a family one so wouldn't be able to assist with relationship circumstances I'm afraid.
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been asked to look at this for you
I am a little unclear on what basis you think that Emotional Abuse is something that action can be taken on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If emotional, mental and verbal abuse and mistreatment, knowingly leads to an individual over a long period of time to self harm and attempt suicide. In my opinion there should be legislation and a way to prevent this. I'm trying to see if there's any criminal act or way of prevention.


As stated there was harassment after the relationship for 9 months. But I'm just trying understand my current legal situation better along with possible options and if this is relevant in criminal law.


Thank you for your responses.





I am sorry but there is no criminal cause for action in this matter.
There is no Criminal Offence of causing Emotional Harm - and no other action that you can take unless he is continuing to harass you in any way
I am sorry - I appreciate how unfair this is but I afraid that there is simply no action that you can take
Please ask if you need further details
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you