How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I live in a house that was purpose-built as a bank managers

This answer was rated:

I live in a house that was purpose-built as a bank manager's family home in the 1920's. We occupy 3/4 of the building and the bank uses the remaining 1/4. There is a poorly maintained flat roof over an extension to the bank. I have been in touch with the estates manager numerous times over the last year about getting the drainage sorted out, but I have not had any reasonable response. At the moment the roof is a pool of stagnant water that is attracting pigeons and will attract midges in the summer. I have a young child who wants to play in his garden without being attacked by flying things! Am I allowed to take action to solve the problem and retroactively charge the bank for sorting things out? This roof in question is not part of the shared roof.

Are you a tenant in the house?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We own the house outright without a mortgage.


Thank you.

I would advise you to contact the environmental health section of your local authority on an urgent basis and inform them about the health hazard posed to your child, they have the power to intervene and force the Bank to take action to sort this problem out.

You could also notify the bank directly about the problem and give them say 10 days to sort it out or you will get it done yourself and send them the bill for the work, you should let the bank know how much it will cost.

However, if the bank does not pay up, you would have to go to court and there is no guarantee that you will get judgement against the bank, which is why I would contact the local authority and get them to force the bank to take action.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks very much. I hadn't thought of contacting the council.