How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Hi, This matter has reappeared and I posted a question

Customer Question


This matter has reappeared and I posted a question re this matter and got a significantly different answer. Just a recap.

I own a house 50/50 with my brother in May last year he put himself in bankruptcy. and sited 100% of the council tax and 100% of the mortgage in his bankruptcy.

The council after stating your reply suddenly stopped hassling me. Now all of a sudden private bailiffs contacted me. I tried to speak to the council and they are refusing to discus it? My question does y
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I am happy to assist you further with this.

What I would suggest you do is write to the private bailiffs and say that they have no legal right to be claiming this debt from you.

Say that if they turn up at your property again you will deem it harassment under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 which is a criminal offence. Say that you will report the matter to the Police and Trading Standards.

Make sure you keep a record of when they attend the property and make sure you follow up with the complaint at the Government Ombudsman.

Kind regards