How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I am being pursued for a debt that I do not acknowledge thats

This answer was rated:

I am being pursued for a debt that I do not acknowledge thats dates from October 1996. I have just started to receive regular calls from a company called Portfolio Recovery Associates, I have told them that this has nothing to do with me even though they allege that I signed an agreement. Can I write to them with regards XXXXX XXXXX this matter statute barred under the limitations act (1980) ?

Thank you for your question and welcome my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

You can tell them that they are statute barred under the Limitations Act 1980 if the debt is older than 6 years you have not acknowledged it and they have not chased you for it for 6 years.

I would write to them and say that given the age of the debt their behaviour is potentially unlawful as it amounts to harassment under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970. Say to them that if they continue to chase you, you will report to the police and will be reporting them to Trading Standards as well.

Make sure you do this in writing and keep a record of when they chase you.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you