How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am going through a divorce, my husband and I have agreed

Customer Question

I am going through a divorce, my husband and I have agreed a financial settlement but costs are spiralling out of control, our solicitors have said the financial agreement has to go to court to be approved costing even more money, can we do a letter between us agreeing the money as total and final settlement
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

It is very important to get the financial settlement sealed by the court in the form of a consent order so that the agreement becomes legally binding and to avoid one of you challenging the settlement in the future.

The consent order has to be drafted by the solicitors. I would not advise you to write a letter between yourselves and you should go down the consent order route.

Hope this helps