How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4768
Type Your Law Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

can you explain council tax regulations for single occupancy

Customer Question

can you explain council tax regulations for single occupancy of a home
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Have a look at 'Council Tax - GOV.UK,' any search engine will find it. It gives a simple step by step summary of Council Tax and how it works. Basically, if a single person occupies a dwelling they can claim a 25% discount from the tax. You can do no worse that have a look at this very useful guide to the tax.

Council Tax replaced the hated Community Charge, a Margaret Thatcher imposition on individuals which in itself replaced the old rates. Dwellings are placed in bands and the tax levied depends upon the banding. One has to be a bit careful. A customer I had many years ago had their house banded higher than every other similar house in the street. A letter to the District Valuer soon sorted it out, but just have a care.

There are, of course, a string of further exemptions, but to be fair unless you are a disabled, one legged, dwarf student, to quote my GP, they probably won't apply to you [joke; I am disabled!].

I hope I have been able to throw some light on your question.