UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

If a customer takes my limited company to a smalls claims court

If a customer takes my limited company to a smalls claims court i am expected to travel across the country to where the customer lives and waist a whole day in court for the hearing. Can i claim anything back if i successfully defend my case such as travel expenses and my time? Thanks

Yes, you may ask the court to award you the following costs:

expenses which a party or witness has reasonably incurred in travelling to and from a hearing or in staying away from home for the purposes of attending a hearing;

A sum not exceeding the amount specified in Practice Direction 27 for any loss of earnings or loss of leave by a party or witness due to attending a hearing or to staying away from home for the purposes of attending a hearing;

The limit is £90 per day for staying away from home, loss of earnings to loss of leave.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks that's a great help. How / when would i apply for these costs? Would it be in the defence application form or at the court hearing?

At the hearing is fine. As it is small claims, there is no formality involved in asking for the costs.