How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am an author working on the biography of someone who died

This answer was rated:

I am an author working on the biography of someone who died in 1984, abroad, possibly in Bolivia. I need a copy of his death certificate to access various UK and US records but he was not registered dead in the UK and the Bolivian authorities have no record. I believe it is possible to have someone legally declared dead after 7 years. Could you tell me if this *is* possible and if so how much would it cost, please?

Yes, under the Presumption of Death Act 2013, you may apply for a declaration that the person is presumed to be dead on the grounds that the person is thought to be dead or was last seen alive at least 7 years ago.

However, the person must have been domiciled in England and Wales or habitually resident here for a at least 1 year.

See here for the Act

Applying for such a declaration should cost a few hundred pounds if using a solicitor.

Hope this helps

UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you